AIRCRAFT and PHOTOS
On November 21, 1914, an Avro 504 made the first bombing raid in history against the airship sheds at Friedrichshafen. Three of the planes were converted later to single seat fighter status and served as late as 1918.
In August, 1917,
David Harrison's Squadron Commander of 56 Squadron, Major Smith
Barry, returned to England to establish his famous School of Special
Flying at Gosport to train advanced flying instructors. The Avro
504J became the standard trainer and was built in large numbers.
Eventually, it would be used worldwide.