William W. Whitson


AIRCRAFT and PHOTOS

ALBATROS C.III

Albatros C-III

(Photographs reprinted by permission of the San Diego Air and Space Museum)

The Albatros C.III was first introduced in early 1916, and became the workhorse for the German Army for photo-reconnaissance, observation and light bombing (maximum of 200 pounds). Its slow speed (87mph) and low ceiling (11,000 feet) made it an easy victim for Allied fighters. Nevertheless, it stayed in service until early 1917, much to the regret of its vulnerable crews.


Return to WWI Airplane and Photo Index